All articles published in the SMJ are open access and freely available online upon publication. This is made possible by a Submission Fee that covers part of the administrative costs.
A one-time, non-refundable Submission Fee of SGD 100 for each manuscript is payable upon submission (see section on Waivers below). Please note that payment of the Submission Fee does not guarantee that the manuscript will undergo formal peer review or be accepted.
After the Submission Fee has been received or waived, manuscripts are screened by the Editors and the Editorial Office:
- Editors: If the subject matter is not sufficiently new/interesting or is outside of the journal's scope, the manuscript may be rejected without further peer review. This avoids delays from the review process and allows authors to submit the manuscript to another journal of their interest.
- Editorial Office: If the manuscript is deemed suitable for the journal, the editorial office checks the manuscript for grammar, language, plagiarism and format. Manuscripts have to pass this check to be peer reviewed.
Mode of payment
Payment can be made with a credit/debit card via PayPal.
Waiver of the Submission Fee applies only to
- Singapore Medical Association (SMA) members in good standing (SMA member can be lead author or co-author)
- Members of the SMJ editorial board
- Authors whose articles are invited by the Editor-in-Chief
- Recipients of the SMJ Reviewer Recognition Award from the previous year, who enjoy a Submission Fee waiver for the next calendar year (e.g. recipients of SMJ Reviewer Recognition Award 2016 will enjoy a waiver for articles submitted between January and December 2017).
The SMJ does not give any discounts on the Submission Fee regardless of geographical region.
No refunds are given for the Submission Fee except in very rare circumstances. The Submission Fee is an administrative fee that helps the journal cover part of the peer review costs.
Rejection of manuscript is not a basis for refund.
When the Submission Fee has been successfully processed and the submission meets the initial screening, a tracking number will be emailed to the authors, who will be able to track the status of their manuscript online.
There is generally no charge for publication. However, for print publication, there is a colour printing charge of SGD 65 for each page to be printed in colour (with effect from January 2020). This applies only to the hard copy edition of the SMJ and not the soft copy PDF and online versions. Authors will have the option to optimise their images for black and white printing to avoid the colour print charge.
The colour charge is payable at the typesetting stage of print production. Payment can be made with a credit/debit card (recommended) or via bank-to-bank transfer (bank charges, if any, will be borne by the author).
To submit a manuscript, please go to: singaporemedj.editorialmanager.com